QURBANI / UDHIYYAH
QURBANI / UDHIYYAH
The aim of sacrifice, like all other fundamentals of Islam, is to imbibe piety and self-righteousness. It also promotes the spirit of sacrifice for a right cause. To explain its purpose, ALLAH says in the Quran. “It is not their meat, nor their blood, that reaches ALLAH, It is their piety that reaches ALLAH” (22:37)
Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh) said: “On the 10th of Zil-Hijjah, there is no better act in the view of ALLAH than shedding the blood (of slaughtered animals). And verily sacrifice earns the approval of ALLAH even before the drop of blood (of the slaughtered animal) falls on the ground. Hence you should offer it in good spirit. For every hair of the sacrificial animal, there is a blessing”
Method of Sacrifice
- The animal for slaughter should be laid on its left side facing Kaabah and its throat cut open with a sharp knife, and its blood allowed to drain.
- DO NOT buy from a farm or supplier where the animals are mistreated. Just as the Sunnah prohibits us from slaughtering an animal in anything other than a humane manner, we are prohibited from abusing animals while they are living. It might take time to identify a farm where animals are treated with compassion, but if you plan ahead, you can find a supplier who shares your principles.
- DO NOT treat the animal roughly or let it see the knife before you slaughter it. Rather, give the animal a drink of water to quench its thirst and let it feel at peace.
- DO NOT slaughter your animal in front of other animals – this terrifies them and it is forbidden to inflict this kind of emotional pain on animals.
- DO NOT use a knife that is nicked, serated, dull or short. All of this things will cause pain and suffering to the animal, which is prohibited. When the jugular vein of an animal is opened with a razor-sharp knife in one cut, the animal will quickly bleed to death with little pain.
- DO NOT move the animal for the butchering process until you are certain that it has died.
The Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, said, “There is a reward for doing good to all living creatures.” Let us make this sacrifice an occasion to earn ALLAH’S reward and to avoid the punishment of those who mistreat animals.