Earning the Rewards of Haj
|Earning the Rewards of Haj|
|All praise is due to Allah and may His choicest salutations continue to descend upon our Master and Leader Muhammad.
“Whoever does good shall have ten times the like thereof …” (6:160)
Ibn Umar Radhi-Allahu anhu narrates that “Nabi Sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam has said: “Your term compared to the term of nations before you is the time between Asr Salaah and Maghrib Salaah. Your parable and the parable of those before you is like a man who (wants) to employs workers and says: “Who will work for me till midday for one qirât?” The Jews took up the offer and worked till midday for one qirât, He then said: “Who will work till Asr Salaah for a qirât?”
The Christians took up the offer and worked till Asr Salaah for a qirât. He then said: “Who will work for me from Asr to Maghrib for two qirâts?” “You are the people who work from Asr to Maghrib for two qirâts.” Most certainly your reward is double! The Jews and Christians became angry and said: “How is it that we work longer and receive less? Allah responded by saying: “Have I oppressed you in anyway?” They said: “No.” Allah replied: “That is my grace that I bestow upon those that I will.” (Bukhari)
The Ummah of Nabi Sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam has been blessed in two particular ways to compensate for their shorter life span. Allah has accorded us certain opportunities through which we could achieve far more than those before us.
Laylatul Qadr is a classical example of how we can achieve more than 80 years of ibâdah in just one night! Nabi Sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam has said: “When one of you perfects his Islam, he is rewarded for each deed that he does from ten to seven hundred folds. Yet each sin he commits is recorded as a single sin” (Bukhari & Muslim)
“Whoever performs Hajj for the sake of pleasing Allah and therein utters no word of evil, nor commits any evil deed, shall return from it as free from sin as the day on which his mother gave birth to him.” Haj has the potential of wiping out sins of a life time!
Even though all of us cannot go for Haj….even though all of us cannot be standing on the plains of Arafat, Allah has out of His special mercy, offered us the opportunity to reap the rewards of Haj through a number of virtuous deeds that are within the reach of almost every Muslim.
1. HONOUR YOUR PARENTS: “There is no obedient son who looks at his parents with kindness but that Allah grants him the reward of an accepted Haj in lieu of every glance.” The Companions asked: “(What) If he does so 100 times every day?” Nabi Sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam said: “Allah is greater and purer than the limited perception you have of him.” (Bayhaqi)
2. FULFIL THE NEED OF A FELLOW MUSLIM: Imam Hasan Al-Basri (ra) said: “Your proceeding to fulfill the need a fellow Muslim is better for you than one Haj after another!” (Sharhul Ihyâ)
3. PERFORM WUDHU AT HOME: “One who purifies himself (i.e., makes wudhu) and leaves his home to attend the fardh salaah in congregation receives the reward of a Haji in the state of Ihram, And if he leaves for the Salâtu-Dhuhâ [Chaast] he gets the reward of ‘Umrah” (Abû Dawûd)
4. SALATUL ISHRAQ: “Whoever offers his Fajr Salaah in congregation, and then remains seated making the dhikr (remembrance) of Allah until (approximately 15 mins after) sunrise after which he offers two rak’aats of salaah (Ishraaq), will receive the reward of one complete Haj and one complete ‘Umrah” ( Tirmidhi)
5. GOING TO THE MASJID TO ACQUIRE KNOWLEDGE:
6. RECITE “SUBHAANALLAH” 100 TIMES IN THE MORNING AND EVENING: “He who recites Subhaanallah 100 times in the morning and another 100 times in the evening is like one who performed Haj 100 times!” (Tirmidhi)
7. UMRAH IN RAMADHAN: “Umrah in Ramadhan equals the reward of Haj with me”. (Muslim)
May Allah give us the taufeeq to take advantage of the special position that we enjoy as the Ummah of Nabi Sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam.